Pleasanton is known as a city of planned progress, resulting in a community that successfully integrates a thriving residential population within a robust business environment. Companies choose Pleasanton for its competitive advantages as highlighted in our Pleasanton Economic Assets report including access to:
Major Markets at a well-connected Northern California location
- Innovation as a hub for the San Francisco East bay’s key industry sectors
- Business Centers with high value, cost competitive commercial space
- Talent with a world-class workforce
- Amenities in a first-class quality of life
Pleasanton’s Community Overview
- 2014 population is 73,067
- Median family income is $118,129
- Average single-family home price is $910,000
- Highly-educated and skilled residents – 56% of adults have bachelors or advanced degrees
2015 American Community Survey Population Demographics
Pleasanton’s commercial market is home to more than 4,000 businesses supporting 53,000 jobs and is marked by numerous economic strengths including:
- Strong employment growth with long term growth outpacing the Tri-Valley and East Bay. Pleasanton’s total employment grew 63% between 1995 and 2009, outpacing the Tri-Valley (53%) and surpassing the East Bay’s growth (20%).
- Innovation economy featuring high-technology industry sectors that draw highly-educated workers and increasing amounts of entrepreneurial activity and venture capital investment.
- Business connectivity among the city’s largest employers, such as Workday, Safeway, EMC, Oracle, Thoratec and Roche Molecular Systems, are economic anchors that attract talented employees and additional business activity through the growth of the supply chain network and the creation of new, related businesses.
- Strong retail centers with the city commanding more taxable retail sales than any other city in the Tri-Valley.
Detailed information about the city’s demographic, household and commute patterns, economic base, commercial real estate and retail and lodging market is in the Economic Development Background Report
2019 Demographic Overview